Patented technology preserves the taste, nutrition, and texture of nearly any food for up to 25 years. Perfect for freeze drying fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy products, meals, desserts, and more. The X-Large is double the food capacity of our large freeze dryer. Freeze dry 5000 pounds of fresh food per year (30-40 pounds per batch). In a year’s time, you can easily freeze dry 1200 gallons of food.
- Easy to use. Just press start and the freeze dryer will beep when finished.
- The X-Large Home Freeze Dryer includes an X-Large Premier Vacuum Pump. Please note that the regular Premier Oil Pump and Oil-Free Pump are NOT compatible with this unit.
* Shipping charges are subject to change without notice. Some conditions apply.
A freeze dryer allows you to keep your home-grown fruits and vegetables fresh for years and years. Freeze drying at home is the very best way to preserve your garden harvest. It truly is the gardener’s best friend.
Freeze-dried food is perfect for emergency food supplies, bug out bags, 72-hour kits, and other survival packs. With a home freeze dryer, you will be prepared for any kind of emergency.
Harvest Right lets you freeze dry your own food at home to be used on your next hike, backpacking adventure, hunting trip, or camp out. It is lightweight, has less salt, and tastes better than anything else that will fit in your backpack.
Buying freeze-dried food from a store is expensive. The food is full of salt and other preservatives and the limited choice means you buy meals you may not even enjoy eating. Freeze drying your own meals and produce is a great way to save when building your emergency food supply.
Everyone, even your pet, benefits from having a freeze dryer. You can easily feed your pets the healthy, preservative-free, home-prepared food they deserve and crave.
- X-Large Freeze Dryer
- X-Large Premier Vacuum Pump
- Vacuum Pump Oil
- Oil Filter
- Set of 7 Trays
- Mylar Starter Kit - 12in Impulse Sealer, 50 Half-gallon Mylar Bags and 50 300cc Oxygen Absorbers
- Weight: 33lb
- Dimensions: 16.3 x 6 x 12.1
- Voltage: Standard, 115v, 60Hz
- Oil Type: Only replace oil in the unit with Robinair Premium High Vacuum Pump Oil, JB Industries Black Gold Vacuum Pump Oil, or other approved Harvest Right vacuum pump oils. This is available for purchase from Good2GoCo. Do not use Dairyland vacuum pump oil - although that is great for Harvest Right's standard vacuum pumps, it will not work in the Premier Vacuum Pump because it has detergents in it.
- Oil Changes - Premier Pump rarely needs to have the oil changed or filtered. The pump has a gas ballast feature that makes it so water does not stay in the oil. Because of this, the oil in the pump will be pristine and clear, even after 30 or more batches. You simply won’t need to change the oil until you have run 20 or more batches.
How do freeze dryers work?
The entire process is automatic.
1. Raw or cooked foods are placed in freeze dryer, and frozen to between -30 degrees and -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Once frozen, freeze dryer creates a vacuum in the food chamber.
3. As the food is gradually warmed, water turns to vapour and evaporates out of food (sublimation).
4. Once dry, freeze dryer notifies user that the process is complete by sounding an audible beep.
5. Freeze-dried food can then be removed from freeze dryer and placed in vacuum-sealed containers that are moisture and oxygen proof (preferably a Mylar pouch or a can) to ensure freshness until opened.
6. When water is added to the food, it regains its original fresh flavour, aroma, texture, and appearance!
Which freeze dryer size is best for me?
This depends on your needs. Medium Freeze Dryers have a per-batch capacity of about 2 gallons (7 to 10 lbs. of fresh food). In a year, one can easily freeze dry 200 batches (400 gallons or 1500 lbs. of food). Capacity of each batch for Large Freeze Dryers is about 3.5 gallons (12 to 16 lbs. of fresh food). In a year, that can easily freeze dry 200 batches (700 gallons or 2500 lbs. of food). Capacity of each batch for X-Large Freeze Dryers is about 8-10 gallons. In a year's time, you can freeze dry 1200 gallons or 5,000 lbs. of food.
What type of food can be freeze dried?
Almost anything! All kinds of fruits, vegetables and meats taste wonderful when freeze dried. That includes foods like tomatoes, apples, bananas, strawberries, peaches, green beans, peppers, onions, potatoes, spinach, shrimp, pork, beef, turkey and even ice cream. Meals that include meats may also be easily freeze dried. Foods like lasagna, rice dishes, cheese macaroni, chili, beef stew, chicken a la king, casseroles, shrimp, lobster, pulled pork, pasta sauces or scrambled eggs are perfect for this process. You’ll find it a delight to experiment with different foods and meals in your freeze dryer. A great way to start is by picking meals that are already favourites in your home.
Can different foods be freeze dried together?
Yes - for most cases, however foods with potent smells and varying moisture content should not be mixed. For instance, strong-scented foods (e.g., garlic, onions) should not be mixed with low-odour foods (e.g., apples, bananas). Similarly, high-moisture content foods (e.g., pineapples) should not be mixed with low-moisture content foods (e.g., blueberries).
How long does it take to freeze dry each batch?
It typically takes between 20 to 40 hours to complete the process. Food type and quantity will affect the freeze-dry cycle. Things like meat, peas and corn dry quickly, while squash and watermelon can take longer. The thickness of the food slices will affect the cycle time too. Most importantly, your machine senses when the food is ready (alerting you with a beep) so you don’t have to guess when to stop the freeze-dry cycle.
Is it okay to freeze food prior to placing in the freeze dryer?
Yes! It is a great idea to put frozen products into your freeze dryer. Your machine will accept pre-frozen foods and cool them even further, to around -40 degrees F.
What components make up a freeze dryer?
The freeze dryer unit itself as well as a high-quality vacuum pump that sits outside the freeze dryer.
What maintenance is required for a freeze dryer?
The freeze dryer itself requires little to no maintenance. However, all freeze dryers come with a high-quality vacuum pump, which requires some maintenance, mainly adding and draining oil. The vacuum pump comes equipped with an initial supply of oil. There are 3 cups of oil in a vacuum pump that need to be changed regularly to keep a freeze dryer running efficiently. This is a simple process and requires little effort. Each freeze dryer also includes a stand-alone oil filter. The filter cleans the oil and allows you to keep reusing your oil as if it were new. Using filtered oil in each batch is a great way to save money and be more eco-friendly, while also helping your vacuum pump perform as efficiently as possible.
How much power do freeze dryers use? What will it cost to run?
Our medium freeze dryers use a standard 110-volt outlet. At peak, the freeze dryer draws about 16 amps, but on average about 9 to 11 amps (990-1210 watts) of power per hour. A dedicated 20-amp circuit is recommended. Your freeze dryer will cost an estimated $1.25-$2.80 a day, depending on power costs in your area.
Our large freeze dryer requires a 110-volt (NEMA 5-20) outlet. At peak, the large freeze dryer draws about 16 amps, but on the average about 10 amps (1500 watts) of power per hour. A dedicated 20-amp circuit is required. Your freeze dryer will cost an estimated $2.00-$3.00 a day, depending on power costs in your area.
Which oxygen absorber should I use with Mylar bags?
Great question. It depends on the size of your Mylar bag, and the contents inside of it. We covered this topic in one of our previous blog posts as the answer can get quite extensive. We recommend you check it out here.